Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Apple Cheeks vs. Bum Genius

I've been meaning to do this post for a while, but there were always other things I wanted to write about instead. I'm finally getting around to writing this now because I spent HOURS researching cloth diapering before I had my baby, so I hope this might help someone trying to decide between Applecheeks & Bumgenius 4.0 It's so hard to decide which diapers to buy before you have your baby but if you know what you are looking for in your cloth diapering system, it will be easier to make your choice.

I was looking for a cloth diaper that was easy to put on the baby and the least bulky as possible. I was also looking for a diaper preferably made in Canada, but definitely made under fair-trade/ethical conditions. I used disposables for the first few weeks until her umbilical cord fell off and healed. After that, she had filled out enough in the legs to fit her cloth diapers nicely. In total, we purchased 2 bags of disposable diapers. So far, we've only had 1 poopy blow-out with our cloth diapers and she is 10 weeks old. It happened when I had her in my baby carrier, so I think the pressure of being wrapped up so snug had something to do with it. I'm really pleased with how well the diapers hold in her poo. I may be doing an extra load of laundry every few days because of cloth diapers, but I'm sure I'm doing less clothes laundry since her poos are always contained in the diaper.

From all the research I did while I was pregnant, I decided Applecheeks was the perfect cloth diaper for me. I loved that it was made in Canada and I really liked that it is a 2 size system (as compared to a one-size like the Bumgenius) because they are less bulky on small babies. I also liked that the Applecheeks has an envelope style pocket so if you stuff the insert inside the diaper (rather than laying it on top) you don't have to unstuff it before washing as it agitates out in the wash. I don't stuff them though, I just lay the insert on top of the cover because I find it easier to change her. With Bumgenius, you have to stuff the diaper, so that's another reason I prefer Applecheeks.

I purchased 4 Bumgenius 4.0 diapers before purchasing my Applecheeks. I got them during a Boxing Day sale and since they seemed to be really popular, I thought I'd have some in my cloth diaper stash. I use them, but I always reach for my Applecheeks first. I purchased the Applecheeks second hand from a woman who hardly used them at all. We got a great deal on them! In my experience, there are always second hand cloth diapers available on your local classifieds online and if you check regularly, you can find great diapers for less than half the price, further increasing the savings from cloth diapering & of course... Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

I took some pics so you can compare the look of them. Applecheeks is pink and the Bumgenius in turquoise.









6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I've been doing so much research these last few days with the same values in mind! I'm due in October and would like to get things ready beforehand. I had narrowed it down to applecheeks and bumgenius so this post is very helpful..I will definitely look more into applecheeks ;) Thankyou! ps- cute baby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you found it helpful :)

      Delete
  2. Even though we aren't planning on cloth, I still love this post. Love that you are going for it with cloth, and I've always thought it's cool how cute you can be with the different colors. Baby looks pretty happy in them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cloth butts are the cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried Applecheeks, but have some Bumgenius. My favorites are Fuzzibunz pockets. The one size diapers (and all-in-ones) are great in theory, but I really prefer them a little less bulky!
    She looks so cute in her big, fluffy diapers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't done any diaper research yet, but leaning towards cloth so this post is great!! thanks! adorable photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs